Those who have pets love them dearly and treat them no less than a family member. Whether you are having a dinner party at home or you are going out for a picnic, you never fail to tag along your pet and make sure that it also has a good time. Pet lovers also want to make sure that they can carry their pet with them while travelling, that too with utmost convenience.
Keeping in mind the fact that the craze for pets has increased significantly, airlines have started introducing pet policies as well. One such airline is JetBlue. JetBlue makes arrangements for your pet so that it can travel with absolute comfort. The JetBlue pet policy has been drafted keeping in mind the safety and comfort of the pets. Travellers who are going to travel with pets need to take care that they follow all the rules sincerely because they are for the safety of the pet itself and the other travellers.
So let’s know what is the JetBlue pet policy and what are its key features which you need to keep in mind.
JetBlue pet policy
Many people have this question in mind that “does JetBlue allow pets?”. Well, it surely does and has a whole set of guidelines for their travel which is known as JetBlue pet policy.
JetBlue pet policy has guidelines about travelling with your pet. The policy has been formulated to ensure that your furbuddy can travel with absolute comfort and is safe onboard. If you are travelling with your pet, then it is important for you to go through all the points of JetBlue pet travel so that you don’t get caught up in any inconvenience at the airport or on the flight.
Key points of JetBlue pet policy
Here are certain key points of JetBlue pet policy which you must know if you are planning to travel with your pet.
- Remember that JetBlue only allows cats and dogs onboard. If you have some other animal as a pet apart from these, you cannot carry them onboard. If you have a dog or a cat as a pet, then you can surely carry them with yourself while travelling through JetBlue.
- If you are travelling internationally, then you need to keep in mind that the restrictions, requirements and documentation for both dogs and cats vary depending on the origin, destination, date of travel and date of booking. To know about this in detail, you can go to the official website of the airline and visit the help page.
- You must check the requirements of pet vaccination, documentation and entry requirements for the destination you are travelling to because these requirements vary from destination to destination. So make it a note to check the requirements for every destination on your travel itinerary in advance.
- In the case of the United States, the entry requirements for pets vary depending on the country of origin. If you don’t meet these requirements then you might have to face some problem upon arrival and you might even have to face refusal entry. So make sure that you go through the guidelines thoroughly before travelling.
- The approved pet carrier will be counted as a personal item and it must comfortably fit underneath the seat in front of you. The size of the pet carrier must not be more than 17″ L x 12.5″ W x 8.5″ H or 43.18 cm L x 31.75 cm W x 21.59 cm H and the combined weight of your pet and the carrier must not be more than 20 pounds. In case you don’t already have a pet carrier, then you can purchase one from the official website of the airline or you can purchase it at the JFK T5 ticket counter.
- If you are travelling on a Basic Blue Fare, then you must know that carry-on bags are not allowed. You may however carry a personal item along with a pet carrier.
- Only one pet is allowed in every carrier and the carrier must have sufficient space which allows the pet to turn around easily. The carrier must not be suffocating for the pet when it is closed.
- While you are at the airport or at the plane, your pet must remain inside the carrier.
How can you book tickets for pets at JetBlue?
JetBlue pet travel booking is a very simple and hassle-free process. We remind you again that only small pets and dogs can travel in a cabin, in an FAA-approved pet carrier which can comfortably fit underneath the seat in front of you. You can make bookings for your pets online through the official website of the airline or through the mobile app or by contacting the customer support team of the airline. Here are some points which you must know about the pet booking:
- The JetBlue pet fee is $125 for each way and can be added in the extra’s section while booking.
- Per traveller, maximum two pets are allowed, with each pet in its own carrier. If you want to bring a second pet, then you will have to pay for a second seat and pet fee.
- Total 6 pets are allowed on the flight. So, pets are allowed on the first come first serve basis. If 6 pets have already been booked, and make a booking after that, then you will not be allowed to bring your pet. It’s therefore better to book early, if you are travelling with a pet.
- You must keep in mind that pets are not allowed in Mint.
- It is recommended that if you are travelling with a pet, then you sit either on the window seat or aisle seat. You will not be alloted an exit row seat, bulkhead seat or any other seat which is restricted for under seat storage.
- You must be very careful of the fact that pets will not be accepted on interline or codeshare bookings under any circumstances. There is however an exception for select nonstop American Airlines-operated flights within the U.S. You can get in touch with American Airlines directly to verify and add your pet and pet fee to your booking according to the JetBlue flying with pets policy.
- Trueblue members earn extra 300 points for every segment, for adding a pet to their flight booking.
Checklist you need to follow if you are travelling with a pet
There are certain things which you must definitely carry with you without fail so that you don’t have any sort of inconvenience while travelling. According to JetBlue pet policy, you must carry the following things with yourself:
- Necessary documents and vaccinations.
- Pet licence
- ID Tags
- FAA-approved pet carrier the size of which must not be more than 17″ L x 12.5″ W x 8.5″ H or 43.18 cm L x 31.75 cm W x 21.59 cm H.
- Your pet’s favourite toy which has your fragrance.
- Pet food which might include some treats and chews.
- Pet supplies for the trip
- You are also advised to make your pet do a preflight workout which will help it in adapting to their surroundings quickly and easily and sleep better during the flight.
Why is travelling with pets on JetBlue a delightful experience?
JetBlue does everything that it can in its capacity to make your and your pet’s flight experience an excellent one. The coaches are very spacious with ample leg room so that you can slide the pet carrier underneath the seat in front of you and still have a lot of space left for your legs.
In case you want even more space, then you can purchase an even more space seat for up to 7″ of extra legroom, early boarding which means early access to overhead rooms and an expedited security lane in some selected airports. Depending on what type of aircraft you are travelling in, you can select a seat located in the first few rows. If you are a traveller of Blue Basic fare and if you combine it with an even more space seat, then you get an added advantage of a carry-on bag.
Not only this, when you travel with your pet you will earn 300 TrueBlue points on each flight segment. These points will be in addition to the points you will already be earning for flying on that flight. If you are not a TrueBlue member, then you can sign up for it for free on the website.
This was all about the JetBlue pet policy. We have covered almost everything which you must be aware of, if you are flying with your pet on a JetBlue flight. If there is still anything that confuses you, then you can visit the official website of the jetblue or dial the number of the jetblue customer service ask for help. The customer support executive will listen to your doubts and queries, and will help you out.